*click pictures to view full size

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Anika's Baptism

Anika made the decision to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We are so proud of her and how hard she strives to follow her Heavenly Fathers commandments. She was baptized the Saturday after her birthday on November 22, 2008. It was a crazy, busy day. I was a little stressed.
First thing in the morning Adam and I took her out to breakfast to celebrate, then Celtin and Anika had a primary activity where they had to pass off articles of faith in order to get ice cream toppings. Adam stayed with them at the church because I still needed to make a bolero jacket for her dress. We bought her dress online but it was sleeveless and I was worried she would be too cold. After I found some white eyelet shoes I had a great idea to make a matching jacket. She was not home so I used one of her shirts to measure since I did not have a pattern. Once she got home and tried it on I realized they were way too tight (I did not think about the lack of stretch in the eyelet fabric) and had to turn them into shorter sleeves. They were still snug but it looked cute and kept her a little warmer.
I finished up the 7 layer dip and helped Anika get ready, while Adam ran over to the church to fill up the font. I was a little stressed trying to get everything (her hair...I was weaving pearl strands into her braids) perfect. On the way over to the church I told Anika that I was sorry I was so stressed but I just wanted this day to be perfect for her. Anika replied, with a smile on her face, "Mom don't worry...I am getting baptized today, that is all that matters!" How did she become so wise in only 8 years?
So we get to the church and she changes into her baptism jumpsuit-so cute! Many of our friends arrived, We probably had as many friends there who are not members of our church as those who are. I am so grateful for the wonderful, caring and supportive friends we have made. It makes the fact the most of our family couldn't make it more bearable.
The whole program was great. It was relaxed but innocent and sweet. Anika's Grammy gave a wonderful talk on baptism and Celtin gave a cute talk on the Holy Ghost, while Anika was wrapped in a blanket made by her Grandma.
The actual baptism was simple and wonderful. Anika looked so beautiful and peaceful as her father baptized her. I am so grateful for the priesthood and for a wonderful husband who is worthy to preform such important ordinances. When I went to help Anika change I asked her how she felt and she said "Happy!" I hope she remembers that because one of the greatest things this gospel brings to my life is HAPPINESS. She then received the gift of the Holy Ghost and a blessing by her father. I was so filled with joy and gratitude for all that our Heavenly Father offers us and the promises he gives to us. I feel so lucky to know the true church and am glad that my children can have this in their lives as well. Congratulation Anika and I am so very proud of you. I love you!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

sounds like a full day! congratulations annika! these kids are growing up so fast! and how talented are you - the pearls and the jacket! it's so cool that you can do those things!

Becky said...

Dear Sweet Anika! I am so proud of your decision to be baptized. I loved reading about your special day and though I am so sad I was not there, I felt such happiness for you! I LOVE you!
Gramma

Dalynne Denhof said...

I'm glad her special day went so well. I can relate to the pressure you felt as "the mom" wanting her day to be perfect. I do that to myself too :) But it sounds like you did a great job and she had a wonderful experience!

Holly said...

Congratulations Anika! Can you believe you have and 8 yr old!!